Why I Serve
I view my legislative role as an extension of my community service and not a sole source of income.
My experience, as a legislator, and working relationships with constituents, county employees and elected officials throughout the Kansas City Metro Area allows me to be especially effective in serving my district.
I am committed to the best interests of the working families and seniors in my district. I believe it is essential to provide basic governmental service in a quality manner. Roads, bridges, police protection, parks and quality school systems make our City strong. In the next term I hope to address the following:
- Work with the Sheriff’s Department and Drug Task Force to focus on gang activities in Eastern Jackson County.
- Increase drug prevention and education programs for our young people.
- Cooperate with other governmental entities to collaborate on services, thereby improving the quality of service and holding the line on costs.
- Maintain our great County parks.
More About Dennis
- Van Horn High School, 1966
- U.S. Army National Guard, 1970-1976
- University of Missouri - Kansas City – B.A. 1971
- University of Missouri - Kansas City – School of Law 1986
- Criminal Defense Attorney for more than 20 years
- Private practice – 204 W. Kansas, Independence, MO 64050
- Married to wife, Debbie
- Daughters – Courtney Waits and Paige Waits, both daughters attended Truman High School and are now attorneys practicing in the Kansas City Metro Area
- Past President Inter-City Kiwanis
- Fairmount Commercial Club
- Board of Trustees Mt. Washington Cemetery
- Jackson County Industrial Development Authority
- Youth sports coach
- Chancellor’s Advisory Board – Metropolitan Community College
- Independence School District Facilities Oversight Committee
- Chairman of Legislature
- Vice Chairman of Legislature
- Chairman of Finance & Audit Committee
- Chairman of Land Use Committee
- Chairman of Budget Committee
- Chairman of Anti-Drug Committee
- Chairman Health & Justice Committee
- Bi-State commission Representative
- Chairman of Intergovernmental Affairs Committee
- Board of Trustees Little Blue Valley Sewer District
- Member Public Works Committee
- Member Rules Committee